MINERS KILLED IN THE EXPLOSION
1. ALLEN, John, Jr., was born 26 July 1889 in TN. He was the son of John H. ALLEN and Orlena "Arlena/Lena" SCARBROUGH. He married Mossie ROBBINS 21 June 1911 in Anderson County, TN. They had no children. She may have been the Mossy ALLEN who married Joseph WILSON 26 October 1912 in Anderson County, TN.
2. AULT, Eugene, was born 2 November 1889 in TN. He was the son of Alfred T. AULT and Anna M. PRATER. He was the brother of Taylor N. AULT (#3). He was unmarried.
3. AULT, Taylor N., was born 9 September 1886 in TN. He was also a son of Alfred T. AULT and Anna M. PRATER. He married Rutha "Retha" FLINCHEM 29 May 1911 in Anderson County, TN. They had 1 child, Margaret, born in 1912. Retha was the daughter of Franklin Pierce FLINCHEM and Abigail ROGERS. Retha married Henry NELSON 18 June 1919 in Anderson County, TN. They had 3 children: Billy E., born about 1920; Frank P., born about 1921; and, Johnny V., born about 1924, all in TN. The Henry and Retha NELSON family was in the 1930 census for Hamilton County, TN, where Henry was a carpenter.
4. BURTON, Henry William, was born 15 October 1892 in TN. He was the son of John Calvin "Cal" BURTON and his 1st wife, possibly Lottie MURRAY. His father married (2) Martha SHARP 7 March 1895 in Anderson County, TN. Martha was the daughter of Henry SHARP and Jane COOPER. Henry was a step-son in the household of a widowed Martha (Sharp) BURTON in the 1910 census for Anderson County, TN. He was unmarried.
5. CANNON, Harry, was born 14 February 1886 in TN. He was the son of Louis N. CANNON. He married Martha "Mattie" HOSKINS 20 May 1909 in Anderson County, TN. Mattie was the daughter of Britton Cross HOSKINS and Ruth Ann HACKWORTH. Harry and Mattie had no known children. Mattie was still a widow in the 1920 census for Anderson County, TN. Mattie died 30 March 1932.
6. CARDEN, James T., was born 7 August 1881 in Anderson County, TN. He was the son of Robert C. CARDEN and Lucinda Catherine COPPOCK. He married Alice "Alcie" CLARK 22 December 1907 in Anderson County, TN. They had 1 child, Cecil CARDEN, born 29 November 1908 in Anderson County, TN, died 30 March 1932. Alice married James P. HAMBY. They had 1 daughter, Madge HAMBY, born 16 October 1915 in Bell County, KY. Alice was the daughter of Thomas F. CLARK and Jane GILBERT.
7. COOPER, James Kelley, was born about 1882 in TN. He married Minnie E. SHARP 3 July 1904 in Anderson County, TN. They had 2 children: John S., born about 1905, and James F., born about 1910, both in TN. Minnie married Fletcher C. HUTSON 1 February 1914 in Campbell County, TN. They had 2 children: William S., born about 1915, and Grover L., born about 1917, both in TN. Minnie was the daughter of George W. SHARP and Phoebe LAY. Minnie lost her husband and brothers, Herman (#68) and Robert (#69) SHARP, in the explosion.
8. DUFF, Floyd A., was born January 1892 in TN. He was the son of John H. DUFF (#9) and Flora ATKINS. He was unmarried.
9. DUFF, John H., was born March 1864 in TN. He married Flora ATKINS 7 August 1887 in McMinn County, TN. They had 4 children: Clarence, born May 1888, died 1900-1910; Floyd A. (#8); Bufford, born 1901-1902; and, an unknown child who died before 1910. Flora was the daughter of James Monroe ATKINS and Aneliza C. SMITH. Flora lost her husband and son in the explosion.
10. DUNCAN, Aaron V., was born 10 July 1880 in Anderson County, TN. He was the son of Wilson W. DUNCAN and Serelda VOWELL. He was the brother of Elijah Frost DUNCAN (#11). He married Mattie PROBERT 19 April 1903 in Anderson County, TN. They had 4 children: Charles Wilson "Chick", born 21 February 1904; Marjorie Jane, born 8 December 1906; unnamed infant, born and died 11 January 1910; and, Wade, born 15 February 1911, all in TN. Mattie was the daughter of Charles PROBERT and Mary Ollevia "Allie" CHAPMAN. Aaron was a 1st cousin, once removed, of Banister VOWELL, who died in the Fraterville explosion.
11. DUNCAN, Elijah Frost, was born 13 May 1872 in TN. He was also a son of Wilson W. DUNCAN and Serelda VOWELL. He married Lona A. LEATHERWOOD 20 July 1897 in Anderson County, TN. They had 5 children: Paul Henry, born 2 July 1898; Tullah Zeller "Zella", born 1900; Herman, born 25 December 1904, died 16 May 1907; Reese, born 1907; and, Truman, born 16 April 1910, all in TN. Lona, enumerated as Nola, was a widow with children in the 1920 census for Anderson County, TN, and also in the 1930 census for Chicago, IL. Lona was the daughter of Tilman T. LEATHERWOOD (#32) & Elizabeth STEVENS. Elijah was also a 1st cousin, once removed, of Banister VOWELL, who died in the Fraterville explosion. Lona lost her husband and father in the explosion.
12. DUNCAN, Isaac, was born 19 May 1887 in TN. He was the son of William Isaac "Ike" DUNCAN and Elizabeth "Betsy" BROWN. He married Julia "Judy" MCGHEE 22 June 1907 in Morgan County, TN. They had 1 child, who died before 1920. Julia was the daughter of Calvin Calhoun MCGHEE & Angeline PATTERSON. Isaac was a 3rd cousin of Aaron (#10) and Elijah Frost (#11) DUNCAN.
13. ELLIOTT, Ernest, was born 8 January 1889 in TN. He was the son of John F. ELLIOTT and Mary Elmira YARNELL. He was unmarried. In the 1910 census for District 13, Anderson County, TN, he was enumerated as Earnist ELLIOTT, who was a boarder, age 20, single, and a miner, in the home of Nathaniel T. HIGHTOWER.
Copyright P. Bailey Francis 15 May 2011
|WHO WERE THE CROSS MOUNTAIN MINERS?|