|14. FARMER, Joseph H. "Joe", was born 3 February 1875 in TN. He was the son of Jesse Hoskins FARMER and Sarah Jane SHINLIVER and the brother of William A. "Will" FARMER (#15). He married Lela MCQUEEN 17 January 1904 in Anderson County, TN. They had 4 children: Leon born 1905; Arlance, born 1906-1907; Ruth, born 1910; and, Joseph, born 1912, all in TN. Lela was the daughter of Lizzie MCQUEEN. Lela married 15 October 1917 in Anderson County, TN, Augustus "August" BALLEW. They had 3 children: Helen, born 1920; Johnny born about 1922; and, Theodocia, born about 1924, all in TN. Lela and her husband, August, were in the 1930 census for Harlan County, KY, where August and step-sons, Leon and Arlance, were working in the coal mines. Lela lost her husband and brothers, Joseph "Joe" (#46) and Richard (#47) MCQUEEN, in the explosion.
15. FARMER, William A. "Will", was born 14 April 1873 in TN. He was also a son of Jesse Hoskins FARMER and Sarah Jane SHINLIVER and a brother of Joseph H. "Joe" FARMER (#14). He married Martha E. "Mattie" LEINART 18 January 1896 in Anderson County, TN. They had 4 children: McKendric M., born 26 January 1897; Grear J., born 8 January 1899, died 11 August 1902; Johnie N., born 10 March 1906, died 15 July 1907; and, Jane Louise "Jennie", born 16 November 1908, all in TN. Mattie was the daughter of William McKindric LEINART and Mary Elizabeth "Ellen" JOHNSON. Mattie died 17 June 1917 in Anderson County, TN. In the 1920 census for Anderson County, TN, Jennie was a niece in the household of Mattie's brother, Robert Byrd LEINART. Mattie lost her husband and brother, Calvin French LEINART (#33), in the explosion.
16. FOUST, James Aaron Pleasant, was born 6 August 1869 in TN. He was the son of David C. Finley FOUST and Mary Lois Anna SLOVER. He married Laura Ann "Melinda" WEAVER 30 January 1891 in Anderson County, TN. They had 7 children. They were: Bertha, born 29 November 1892; Clarence D. W., born 19 September 1895; Myrtle M., born 3 January 1899; Elmer J., born 27 April 1901; Aaron Herbert "Chuck", born 18 September 1902; Addie, born 1906; and, Thomas H. "Tom", born 26 July 1907, all in TN. Laura was the daughter of Arville "Arvil" WEAVER and Lucy T. P. SHARP. Laura married Joe Carl MITCHELL 6 June 1931 in Anderson County, TN. James' maternal Uncle, William Houston SLOVER, and first cousins, John B., Henry Clay, James Raleigh, and Samuel Logan SLOVER, died in the Fraterville explosion.
17. GALBRAITH, James. He may be the James M. GALBRAITH, born 14 February 1878 in TN. He was the son of James M. "Jim" GALBRAITH and Analiza Y. "Ann" FREELS. He married Roberta BEVINS 18 June 1905 in Anderson County, TN. They had 1 son, Willie L. GALBRAITH who was born about 1906. He may have been the William L. GALBRAITH, born 9 March 1906, who died 15 March 1998 in Monroe, MI.
18. GALLAHER, Ben L., was born 4 May 1887 in TN. He is probably the Ben GALLAHER who married Sally MOORE 15 November 1911 in Campbell County, TN. If so, he was killed 24 days after his marriage. Sally married Harley TURNER 15 February 1913 in Campbell County, TN. He may be the Ben GOLLAHER, 14, step-son, in the household of Walter and Emma FISHBURN, in the 1900 census for Blount County, TN.
19. GAMMON, W. A., was William Harrison GAMMON, born March 1875 in TN. He was the son of Abraham Harrison "Abram" GAMMON and Mary Elizabeth ROBERTS. He married Eliza HUCKABY 27 January 1898 in Anderson County, TN. They divorced 29 November 1902. He married Nora Belle EMORY. They had 4 children: Edgar Harrison "Edd", born 2 December 1902 in IL; an unknown child, born 1903-1907 in TN; Melvin, born about 1908 in TN; and, Naomi, born 17 June 1910 in TN. Nora ws the daughter of James EMORY and Sarah WILLIS. Nora married Charles N. "Charlie" ADKINS 25 November 1914 in Anderson County, TN. They had at least 3 children: Lonas C., born about 1915; Ulys Tyler, born 9 August 1916; and, Alice, born 10 March 1920, all in TN. Charlie and Nora ADKINS were in the 1930 census for Clinton, Anderson County, TN.
20. GAYLOR, Reuben, was born December 1874 in TN. He was the son of Jesse GAYLOR and Perlissa HARMON. He married Minnie Mossie RIDENOUR 12 May 1900 in Campbell County, TN. They had 4 children: Lawrence, born 1903; Estel, born 1905; Versa, born 1908; and, Ruby, born 1912, all in TN. Mossie was the daughter of Henry L. RIDENOUR and Nancy J. CURNUTT. Mossie married George W. LEWALLEN 25 June 1914 in Campbell County, TN. They had 3 children: Luther, born 1913; Sarah, born 1915; and, Lottie, born 1917, all in TN. Reuben was a 1st cousin of Charles "Charley" ADKINS, who died in the Fraterville explosion.
21. HARMON, William Conda "Condy", was born 28 February 1887 in TN. He was the son of Powell HARMON and Josephine "Josie" SHARP. His father, Powell HARMON, died in the Fraterville mine explosion. Conda was unmarried.
22. HATMAKER, Parnick A., was born 15 March 1882 in Campbell County, TN. He was the son of Duncan HATMAKER and Pena SHARP. He married Bessie Mae O'DELL 27 December 1907 in Anderson County, TN. They had 2 children: Elbert Lee, born 15 August 1909, and Millard Edward, born 3 December 1910, both in Campbell County, TN. Bessie was the daughter of William Patrick O'DELL and Mary Elizabeth BULLOCK. Bessie married Albert VOWELL 15 March 1913 in Anderson County, TN. They had 8 children. They were: Clyde Everette Vincent, born 8 July 1914; Lola M., born 16 December 1917; Della Nevaline, born 31 October 1919; Murrell Eldridge, born 13 January 1922; Charles Audrey, born 30 May 1924; Pauline M., born 16 December 1926; Mary, born 1930; and Wanda. Bessie lost her husband and brothers-in-law, William Lewis TENO (#72) and Patrick "Patt" VALLALAY (#74).
23. HAYNES, Americus Alonzo, was born 1 March 1859 (or 1858) in TN. He was the son of Francis C. HAYNES and Elizabeth Ann MCDONALD. He married Nancy Amerinthe "Nannie" STEEL 27 October 1883 in Blount County, TN. They had 9 children. They were: J. F. HAYNES (#24); Mae L., born 1890; Naomi, born 1892; Mable Lula, born 6 June 1893; Rutha, born 1897; Ann A., born 1899; Charlie, born 1902; Emma J., born 1907; and, Thomas, born 1909, all in TN. Nancy did not re-marry. Nancy lost her husband and son in the explosion.
24. HAYNES, J. F., was born 30 November 1885 in TN. He was the son of Americus Alonzo HAYNES (#23) and Nancy Amerinthe "Nannie" STEEL. He was probably unmarried.
Copyright P. Bailey Francis 15 May 2011
|WHO WERE THE CROSS MOUNTAIN MINERS|