70. SLOVER, George Monroe, was born 4 July 1890 in TN. He was the son of Abraham Lincoln SLOVER and Mary Levada "Mollie" BROOKS. He married Bessie B. ALLEN 21 November 1908 in Anderson County, TN. They had 2 children: an infant, born about 1909, died before April 1910; and, Louis, born 10 October 1910, both in TN. Bessie was the daughter of John H. ALLEN and Orlena "Arlena/Lena" SCARBROUGH. His mother, Mollie, lost 2 of her brothers in the Fraterville explosion. Bessie lost her husband and brother, John ALLEN, Jr. (#1), in the explosion.
71. SMITH, Arthur, was born 8 August 1887 in GA. He was the son of unknown SMITH and Eliza "Lizz", born May 1857 in SC. He was unmarried.
72. TENO, William Lewis, was born February 1872 in NC. He was the son of Daniel TENO, born in Italy. He married Verdia Cross O'DELL 1 April 1900 in Anderson County, TN. They had 3 children: Charlie, born 29 April 1901, died 17 August 1902; Claude Greer, born 9 July 1902; and, Delsie Mae, born 12 July 1904, all in TN. Verdia was the daughter of William Patrick O'DELL and Mary Elizabeth BULLOCK. Verdia married her brother-in-law, Joseph Frederick "Joe" TENO, also a coal miner, 28 December 1913 in Anderson County, TN. They had 4 children: Georgia L., born 15 October 1914; Floyd Leslie "Goose", born 15 March 1923; Earl, who died before age1; and, Magdalene, who also died young. Verdia lost her husband and brothers-in-law, Patrick "Patt" VALLALAY (#75) and Parnick A. HATMAKER (#22).
73. THOMAS, Thomas J., was born August 1874 in SC. He married Delia, born August 1873 in SC, about 1894. They had 5 children, none of whom were living in 1910. One child, Ida, born April 1900 in TN, appeared in the 1900 census.
74. VALLALAY, Patrick "Pat", was born 4 November 1881 in TN. He was the son of James VALLALAY and Mary TILSON. He was the brother of Henry Tate VALLALAY (#75). He married Melcena "Melda" O'DELL 13 September 1902 in Anderson County, TN. They had 4 children: Beulah, born about 1904; Elnor, born about 1905; Pearl, born about 1908; and, Grace, born 1911-1912, all in TN. Melda was the daughter of William Patrick O'DELL and Mary Elizabeth BULLOCK. Melda married Jake HICKS 23 May 1914 in Anderson County, TN. Melda lost her husband; and, brothers-in-law, William Lewis TENO (#72), and Parnick A. HATMAKER (#22) in the explosion.
75. VALLALAY, Henry Tate, was born May 1872 in TN. He was also a son of James VALLALAY and Mary TILSON. He was the brother of Patrick "Pat" VALLALAY (#74). He married Cora B. MCDONALD 27 April 1901 in Anderson County, TN. They had 2 children: Flora, born 25 July 1905, and Thelma Evelyn, born 20 May 1907. Cora also had a child, Elizabeth "Lizzie", born about 1914, all in TN. Cora was the daughter of Mary Emily (Vowell) MCDONALD CHAVIS. Cora married her brother-in-law, William C. VALLALAY before 1920. Patrick (#74), Henry Tate (#75), and William C. VALLALAY were brothers of Charles C. VALLALAY who died in the Fraterville explosion. Cora's mother was a sister of Banister VOWELL who was killed in the Fraterville explosion. (Note: Henry Tate's birth date is shown as 14 December 1869 in "Anderson County Cemetery Records". However he was not in his parents' household in the 1870 census, was 8 years of age in the 1880 census, and showed the May 1872 birth date in the 1900 census.)
76. VANDERGRIFF, Monroe "Roe", was born 13 February 1889 in TN. He was the son of Doctor L. "Dock" VANDERGRIFF and Eliza Jane "Lizzie" BEETS. He married Ida Bell O'DELL 16 April 1908 in Anderson County, TN. They had 2 children: an infant, born and died 18 June 1909, and Sarah J. "Olive/Ollie", born 7 August 1911, both in TN. Ida Bell was the daughter of Thomas O'DELL and Mary Emeline "Emma" WALLACE. Ida Bell married William M. "Bill" DAUGHERTY, also a coal miner, 25 August 1913 in Anderson County, TN. They had 5 children: Martha Jane, born 24 June 1914; Ernest Perry, born 16 March 1916; Letene "Jackie", born 16 June 1919; Lee, born 16 June 1921; and, Harvey, born 7 December 1923, all in TN. Monroe was a nephew of Chesley V. VANDERGRIFF, who was killed in the Fraterville explosion. Ida Bell was a 1st cousin of Verdia Cross (O'Dell) TENO (see #72); Melcena "Melda" (O'Dell) VALLALAY HICKS (see #74); and, Bessie Mae (O'Dell) HATMAKER VOWELL (see #22).
Copyright P. Bailey Francis 15 May 2011
|WHO WERE THE CROSS MOUNTAIN MINERS?|