| MINERS WHO WERE RESCUED
85. HENDERSON, Milton, probably nee GATLIFF, was born 3 February 1893 in Lexington, KY, and died in 1967. He was probably the son of unknown GATLIFF and Mary Alice PORTWOOD or SANFORD. Mary Alice married as her 2nd husband, William T. HENDERSON (#86). He was probably the Milton HENDERSON who married Martha WHITE 14 August 1911 in Anderson County, TN. He moved to Joliet, IL, and married Mary Alice PHARES. They had 1 son, Charles Ernest. He probably also married Ruth, whose last name is unknown. He married Kitty before the 1930 census. He was a railroad fireman in Joliet, IL.
86. HENDERSON, William T., was born 7 November 1868 in TN, and died 7 September 1933. He married Mary Alice PORTWOOD or SANFORD about 1894. They had no children. William was the step-father of Milton HENDERSON (#85). He and Mary Alice were also living in Joliet, Will County, IL, in the 1930 census.
87. IRISH, George Theodore "Dore", was born 16 August 1880 in TN and died 19 February 1958 in Erwin, TN. He was the son of Horace Augustus IRISH (#29) and Martha J. MURRAY. He married (1) Mary Ernestine LEINART 17 September 1899 in Anderson County, TN. Mary was the daughter of John Anderson LEINART and Nicy Ann EDWARDS. They had 1 child, Hazel Adrian, born 22 July 1900 in TN. George married (2) Lurana Ellen "Rena" (Leinart) HIGHTOWER 27 March 1904 in Anderson County, TN. Rena was the daughter of William Henry LEINART and Apalonia Elizabeth LEACH. They had no childen. Rena's brother, Charles Alexander LEINART, died in the Fraterville explosion. Rena was previously married to Thomas W. HIGHTOWER. George married (3) Nancy Belle "Rosa" (Seiber) LOWE before 1922. They had 1 child, Edward, born about 1922 in TN. Nancy was the daughter of Sabert SEIBER and Nancy BUNCH. Nancy was previously married to Henry Civerous LOWE. Mary Ernestine and Lurana Ellen "Rena" were 2nd cousins of Calvin French LEINART (#33).
88. SCOTT, Arthur Thomas, was born 12 September 1882 in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada, and died 3 January 1928 in Hazard, Perry County, KY. He was the son of Harry SCOTT and Harriet RICE. He married Susan M. "Susie" LESTER 26 August 1906 in Anderson County, TN. They had at least 5 children: Clyde Scott, born about 1908 in TN; Arthur Thomas "Tom", born 28 September 1910 in TN; Helen, born 17 January 1920 in KY; Wade Lee, born 29 July 1924 in KY; and, Susie L., born 1926 in KY. Susan was the daughter of Richard Jefferson "Jeff" LESTER (#34) and Martha L. "Mattie" JEFFERS. Susan married Wade D. MOSLEY in KY before the 1930 census. Susan lost her father, Richard Jefferson LESTER (#34), in the explosion.
89. SMITH, Irving/Irwin - no genealogical information. He was killed later in the Ducktown copper mine.
Anderson County, Tennessee, Cemetery Records, 1989, compiled by Mary S. Harris, Whipporwill Publications, Evansville, IN, 1989.
Ancestry.com - United States census sheet images, 1870-1930.
Ancestry.com - Tennessee State Marriages 1780-2002.
Personal and shared genealogical files.
Copyright P. Bailey Francis 15 May 2011
|WHO WERE THE CROSS MOUNTAIN MINERS|