|WHO WERE THE FRATERVILLE MINERS?|
127. SHARP, Alexander "Alex", was born 16 Jul 1875 in TN. He was the son of Rufus P. "Rufe" SHARP and Eveline WELCH. He was the 1st cousin of William Henry (#169) and James H. (#170) WALLACE. He was unmarried.
128. SHARP, James F. "Frank", was born 9 June 1869 in KY or TN. He was probably the son of Aaron SHARP and Emily Jane ADKINS. He married Serepta HAMMONDS 25 November 1888 in Anderson County, TN. They had 5 children with 4 living in 1910. They were: Sylvia O., born January 1890; Goldi I., born May 1891; Glenna G., born May 1893; Lelon E., born November 1895; and, M____ M., born January 1898, all in TN. The last child was not in her widowed mother's household in the 1910 census for Knox County, TN, and is probably the one who died.
129. STRICKLAND, James D., was probably enumerated as James STRICKLIN, born June 1867 in TN, who was a single coal miner and boarder in the home of Mary J. PITTMAN, in the 1900 census for District 5, Anderson County, TN. He is probably the James STRICKLAND who married Florence HERRALD (probably HARRELL or HERRELL) 21 August 1901 in Campbell County, TN. They had 1 child, Floyd, born about 1902. Florence married William T. TRIPLETT 8 October 1903 in Anderson County, TN. They had 3 children: Louise, born about 1905; William T., born 1908; and, Charley C., born about 1909, all in TN. The family was in the 1920 census for Letcher County, KY, where Will TRIPLETT was an electrician in a coal mine. Floyd, enumerated with the TRIPLETT surname, was living next door with wife, Manda. Floyd was working as a coal miner. He may be the James H. STRICKLIN, age 12, son of Thomas and Mary E. STRICKLIN, in the 1880 census for Wayne County, TN.
130. SLOVER, William Houston, was born 27 December 1846 in TN. He was the son of Aaron SLOVER and Nancy Alice BURTON. He married Parthenia ROBERTS 15 November 1871 in Anderson County, TN. They had 7 children. They were: Mary Jane "Ruth", born 16 February 1871; Samuel H., (#132); John B. (#131); Henry Clay, born 4 October 1877; Nancy, born January 1880; Levi Denny, born 14 February 1882; and, Hester A. "Hessie", born November 1884 (see #77), all in TN. Parthenia was the daughter of Mary "Polly" ROBERTS. Parthenia lost her husband; 2 oldest sons; and son-in-law, Thomas A. LUTTRELL (#77), in the explosion.
131. SLOVER, John B., was born 8 December 1874 in TN. He was the son of William Houston SLOVER (#130) and Parthenia ROBERTS. He was the brother of Samuel H. SLOVER (#132). He married Martha Lavina "Venie" RHEA 24 July 1898 in Anderson County, TN. They had 1 child, Mabel, born 9 July 1900 in TN. Lavina married George Phifer COOPER 1902-1903. They had 6 children: Vertie, born 1908; Clifford Theodore, born 13 February 1909; Cleo, born 26 October 1910; Georgia Lavinia, born 6 December 1912; Fred F., born 4 January 1914; and, William George, born 29 August 1916, all in TN.
132. SLOVER, Samuel H., was born 27 September 1872 in TN. He was also a son of William Houston SLOVER (#130) and Parthenia ROBERTS. He was probably unmarried.
133. SLOVER, James Raleigh, was born 19 December 1877 in TN. He was the son of Samuel Maynard SLOVER and Amanda M. CARVER. He married Edna CLOTFELTER 27 February 1902 in Campbell County, TN. James was the brother of Samuel Logan SLOVER (#134); the 1st cousin of John B. (#131) and Samuel H. (#132) SLOVER; and, a nephew of William Houston SLOVER (#130).
134. SLOVER, Samuel Logan, was born 9 March 1886 in TN. He was also a son of Samuel Maynard SLOVER and Amanda M. CARVER. He was the brother of James Raleigh SLOVER (#133); the 1st cousin of John B. (#131) and Samuel H. (#132) SLOVER; and, a nephew of William Houston SLOVER (#130). He was unmarried.
135. TURNER, Milburn F., was born 17 October 1872 in Union County, TN. He was the son of Rufus Lane TURNER and Jemima WITT. He is probably the M. F. TURNER who married Nancy BEETS 8 October 1899 in Anderson County, TN. Nancy was the daughter of Wiley BEETS and Mary "Pollie" RISDEN. She may be the Nancy TURNER who married M. F. SEIVERS 29 August 1905 in Anderson County, TN.
136. VOWELL, Jacob Leinart, was born 14 July 1866 in TN. He was the son of Grandison D. VOWELL and Mary Emeline LEINART. He married Sarah Ellen WEBB about 1885. They had 7 children. They were: William A., born 30 July 1886; Harvey Elbert (#137); Horace Lee, born 29 September 1889; Mindie Emeline "Minnie", born 9 November 1891; James Thomas, born 18 May 1894; Edward Calvin "Ed", born 7 January 1898; and, Lillie, born September 1899, all in TN. Sarah Ellen lost her husband; her son (#137); and, 2 brothers: William James (#159) and Huston M. (#155) WEBB.
137. VOWELL, Harvey Elbert, was born 25 November 1887 in TN. He was the son of Jacob Leinart VOWELL (#136) and Sarah Ellen WEBB. He was unmarried.
138. VOWELL, Banister, was born January 1850 in TN. He was the son of Aaron VOWELL and Elizabeth "Betty" CRAIG. He married Mary AULT 22 December 1872 in Anderson County, TN. They had 6 children. They were: Richard Edward, born 25 December 1874; George W. (#139); Kiley M., born 1878; Minnie Jane, born 9 May 1879; William H. (#140); and, Levi H., (#141). Mary lost her husband and 3 sons in the explosion.
139. VOWELL, George W., was born 5 February 1876 in TN. He was the son of Banister VOWELL and Mary AULT. He was the brother of William H. (#140) and Levi H. (#141) VOWELL. He married Mary BIRT 16 December 1894 in Anderson County, TN. They had 4 children with 2 living in 1910. Three of them were: Edward, born May 1899; Bert, born May 1900, died before 1910; and, Anna E., born 1901-1902, all in TN. Mary married Foster JENNINGS 5 July 1905 in Anderson County, TN. They had 2 children: William G., born 1906, and John H., born 1908, both in TN.
Copyright P. Bailey Francis 6 May 2011