|WHO WERE THE FRATERVILLE MINERS?|
140. VOWELL, William H., was born August 1886 in TN. He was also a son of Banister VOWELL and Mary AULT. He was the brother of George W. (#139) and Levi H. (#141) VOWELL. He was unmarried.
141. VOWELL, Levi H., was born September 1883 in TN. He was also a son of Banister VOWELL and Mary AULT. He was the brother of George W. (#139) and William H. (#140) VOWELL. He was unmarried.
142. VALLALAY, Charles C., was born 12 March 1875 in TN. He was the son of James and Elizabeth VALLALAY. Two of his brothers died later in the Cross Mountain mine explosion. He married Maude LONGMIRE 11 January 1902 in Anderson County, TN. They had no children. Maude married Joseph BROOKS 5 May 1903 in Anderson County, TN. They had 2 children: Leroy, born 1904 and Lillian, born 1906. The Joseph and Maude BROOKS family was in the 1920 census for Knox County, TN.
143. VANDERGRIFF, Chesley V., was born 13 November 1855 in TN. He was the son of Chesley V. VANDERGRIFF and Caroline Matilda HANSARD. He was the brother of James VANDERGRIFF (#144). He married Malinda Jane DEW 11 November 1883 in Anderson County, TN. They had 1 child, Maude C., born 25 September 1884 in TN. He married Rebecca J. RAINS 4 December 1892 in Anderson County, TN. They had 4 children: Henry Waterson, born January 1894; Edward Vaughn 'Von", born 16 July 1896; William C., born 11 September 1899; died 11 January 1902; and, Lenis, born 2 April 1902, died 2 October 1902, all in TN. Rebecca married Mynatt SHARP 7 September 1903 in Anderson County, TN. They had 3 children: Robert, born 1905; Veria, born 1908; and Delcie, born 1914, all in TN.
144. VANDERGRIFF, James, was born 18 May 1860 in Knox County, TN. He was also a son of Chesley V. VANDERGRIFF and Caroline Matilda HANSARD. He was the brother of Chesley V. VANDERGRIFF(#143). He may have been the James M. VANDERGRIFF who married Anna CLARK 31 December 1896 in Anderson County, TN.
145. WOODS, Andrew "Andy", was born 26 March 1849 in TN. He was the son of Andrew and Dorcas WOODS. He married Mary E.WEBB 22 February 1881 in Anderson County, TN. They had 7 children. They were: James E., born 13 January 1882; Charles H. "Charley" (#146); William Sherman "Willie', born 3 January 1887; Eli F., born 3 February 1890; Luther Ernest, born 10 September 1892; Thomas R., born 19 April 1895; and, Eliza Ann, born 19 September 1897, all in TN. Mary was the daughter of James R. WEBB and Eliza J. HAYS. Mary lost her husband; son ((#146); brothers, William James (#159) and Houston M. (#155 WEBB); and, nephew, Eli (#156) WEBB, in the explosion.
146. WOODS, Charles H. "Charley", was born 15 September 1884 in TN. He was the son of Andrew "Andy" WOODS and Mary E. WEBB. He was unmarried.
147. WOODS, Joel, was born 26 August 1867 in TN. He was the son of Nathaniel G. WOODS and Mary Myria P. "Polly" ELKINS. He married Laura Ann "Lanie" WEBB 31 July 1887 in Campbell County, TN. They had 5 children. They were: John "Johnny" WOODS (#148); Lela "Eyler", born 19 September 1889; Alice, born December 1895; Lucy, born March 1898; and, Julie, born April 1900, all in TN. Lanie was the daughter of Charles Preston WEBB and Sarah Ellen DUNKIN. Lanie married Commodore Roger WHITE 27 April 1903 in Anderson County, TN. They had 5 children: Clarence, born 1904; Ora M., born 1909, both in TN; William E., born 1912 in TX; Ada F. "Ader", born 1914 in TX; and Elmer A., born 1916 in TX. Lanie was a 1st cousin, once removed, of Huston M. (#155), William Kelly (#157) and Conda (#158) WEBB), and a 2nd cousin of Eli L. M. WEBB (#156). Lanie and family were in Brown County, TX, in 1920, and Eastland County, TX, in 1930.
148. WOODS, John "Johnny", was born 21 April 1888 in TN. He was the son of Joel WOODS and Laura Ann "Lanie" WEBB. He was unmarried.
149. WHITE, John M., was born 26 September 1869 in TN. He was the son of Pleasant P. "Spencer" WHITE and Nancy Esqline ARGUBRIGHT. He married Talitha B. "Litha" MASSENGILL 23 February 1892 in Anderson County, TN. They had 3 children: William Elbert, born 7 July 1893; Malinda A. "Linda", born November 1894; and, Charles, born January 1900, all in TN. Talitha was the daughter of David Samuel "Dave" MASSENGILL and Marintha "Malinda" WALLACE and a sister of William Nicholas "Nicklas" MASSENGILL (#93). Talitha married Jacob L. "Jake" LEWALLEN 30 Nov 1905 in Anderson County, TN. They had 1 child, Mamie Irene, born 23 January 1907 in TN. Talitha lost her husband; brother (#93); and, 1st cousins, James A. WALLACE (#173) and John F. WEBBER (#162), in the explosion.
150. WEAVER, Elijah M., was born March 1875 in TN. He was the son of Henry H. WEAVER and Julia Ann WEAVER. He married Joannah Elizabeth M. BEAVERS about 1896. Elizabeth was the daughter of Robert A. and Mary C. BEAVERS of Knox County, TN. They had 1 child, Harry L., born April 1900 in TN. Harry was a grandson in the household of Mary C. BEAVERS in the 1910 census for Knox County, TN.
151. WEAVER, Samuel C. "Sam", was born 25 April 1880 in TN. He was the son of Jesse Bradford WEAVER and Eliza E. "Lizzie" WEAVER. He married Docia M. "Docie" SORRELLS 7 April 1901 in Anderson County, TN. They had 1 stillborn child 23 May 1902, 4 days after the explosion. Docia was the daughter of William G. SORRELLS and Nancy M. DENTON. Docia, born November 1883 in NC, appears to be the Docia M. WEAVER, 26, widowed, born in NC, who was a boarder in the Metropolitan Church Association home in Waukesha County, WI, in the 1910 census.
Copyright P. Bailey Francis 6 May 2011