|WHO WERE THE FRATERVILLE MINERS?|
165. WALLACE, John C., was born 4 March 1884 in TN. He was also a son of Pharaoh WALLACE and Martha A. LAMAR. He was the brother of Charles A. (#164) and William E. "Willie" (#168) WALLACE and the maternal 1st cousin of Pharaoh C. "Chid" GREEN (#52). He was unmarried.
166. WALLACE, W. Earnest, was born 9 May 1872 in TN. He was the brother of William G. WALLACE (#167). He married Elvina Parthenia "Tina" PITMAN about 1897. She was born 1 May 1880 in TN. They had 2 children, Inez and Flora, who died before the 1900 census, and a 3rd child, William Earnest WALLACE, born 2 December 1902, and died 14 February 1977 in Titusville, FL. Tina was the daughter of Frank and Mary Jane PITMAN and the sister of Hillery C. (#98) and William Franklin "Frank" (#99) PITMAN. Tina moved to Knoxville, TN, and later married Alex C. MASSENGILL. They had 4 additional children: Wonder, Wanda, Juanita, and Carvel H. In the 1910 census for Anderson County, TN, William Earnest WALLACE, age 7, was a nephew in the household of Andy J. and Martha A. WALLACE. Andy J., W. Earnest, and William G. WALLACE were probably children of Benjamin and Martha M. (McGee) WALLACE of Roane and Anderson Counties, TN, and formerly of Greene County, TN. Earnest and his brother were buried in the Concord Masonic Cemetery in Knox County, TN. According to William Earnest WALLACE's youngest son, Ron WALLACE, Andy J. WALLACE, also a coal miner, was working at the Fraterville mine the morning of the explosion. Because of a dispute with his supervisor, he was punished by having to dry sand outside the mine rather than dig coal in the mine. That saved Andy's life. Tina lost her husband, 2 brothers, and brother-in-law in the explosion.
167. WALLACE, William G., was born June 1874 in TN. He was the brother of W. Earnest WALLACE (#166). He married Lavenia/Louvenia "Venie" GOINS 26 July 1896 in Campbell County, TN. They had 3 children: George W., born May 1897; Bessie I., born 12 June 1899; and James C., born 11 March 1901, who died 13 July 1903. All were born in TN. Vena was the daughter of William and Elisabeth GOINS of Campbell County, TN. Vena married (2) Henry Albert PARROTT 22 June 1903 in Anderson County, TN. They had 3 children: Ethel, born 1903; Henry, born 1908; and, Vista?, born 1910, all in TN. Henry died 26 January 1910 in Goodwell, WV. Vena was a widow with a grandchild, Charles PARROTT, age 1 6/12, in the 1930 census for Harriman, Roane County, TN.
168. WALLACE, William E. "Willie", was born 18 November 1879 in TN. He was also a son of Pharaoh WALLACE and Martha A. LAMAR. He was the brother of Charles A. (#164) and John C. (#165) WALLACE and the maternal 1st cousin of Pharaoh C. "Chid" GREEN (#52). He was unmarried.
169. WALLACE, William Henry, was born 27 October 1876 in TN. He was the son of Robert WALLACE, Jr., and Sarah Elizabeth SHARP. He was the brother of James H. WALLACE (#170). He and his brother, James H., were 3rd cousins of Charles A. (#164), John C., (#165), and William E. "Willie" (#168) WALLACE. He was unmarried.
170. WALLACE, James H., was born 22 September 1872 in TN. He was also a son of Robert WALLACE, Jr., and Sarah Elizabeth SHARP. He was the brother of William Henry WALLACE (#169). He married Martha Victoria "Vesta" DEZERN/DEZARN 25 December 1896 in Union County, TN. They had 3 children: William Clarence, born 3 January 1898, died 1 May 1902; Sarah Catherine, born 5 November 1899; and, Gip, born 13 October 1901, died 4 January 1902, all in TN. Martha Victoria married John F. DYER 27 August 1903 in Anderson County, TN. They had no children. John and Martha Victoria were in the 1920 census for Harriman, Roane County, TN, and the 1930 census for Anderson County, TN. In 1930, they lived 2 households from Martha's daughter, Sarah Catherine (Wallace) LOY; Sarah's husband, Ocle LOY; and, their 3 children. Two of Martha's 3 small children died 4 January 1902 and 1 May 1902, respectively, and she lost her husband, 5 brothers, and her sister's husband, Robert H. ALLEN (#5) in the explosion.
171. WITT, William H. "Willie", was born 16 January 1886 in TN. He was the son of Marvel J. WITT (#172) and Mary (possibly) EVANS. He was unmarried.
172. WITT, Marvel J., was born 2 May 1859 in TN. He was the son of Edmond WITT and Lucinda LOY. He married Mary (possibly) EVANS 17 February 1876 in Union County, TN. They had 10 children with 8 living in 1900. They were: Harriett H., born 26 February 1877; John W., born March 1881; Pharid?, born July 1883; William H. "Willie" (#171); Roscoe, born June 1888; Sarah O., born February 1890; Cecil J., born April 1892; and, James F., born October 1894, all in TN.
173. WALLACE, James A., was born 10 August 1868 in TN. He was the son of Cynthia A. WALLACE. He married Eva RICE 16 June 1894 in Anderson County, TN. They had 3 children: Docy L., born November 1894; Brice, born January 1898; and, Thelma, born May 1899, all in TN. Eva was the daughter of John S. and Helen RICE. She may be the Eva L. RICE, daughter in the household of J. S. and Helen RICE in the 1880 census for Decatur County, TN. She might have been the Eva WALLACE who married Robert CARDEN 6 August 1903 in Campbell County, TN. I could find no trace of Eva or her children in the 1910-1920 censuses.
174. DAVIDSON, James, was probably the James DAVIDSON, divorced, born September 1869 in NC, who is a boarder in the home of David(?) ROSS, coal miner, in the 1900 census for District 5, Anderson County, TN.
175. GIBBS, Frank - no information.
176. GRIFFITS, Preston, was probably the Preston GRIFFITH, born November 1871 in TN, who was a coal miner, with wife, Anna, and 2 children in the 1900 census for District 5, Anderson County, TN. The children were: Ida, born February 1897, and Maggie, born October 1899, both in TN.
177. KINDMAN, James - no information.
178. MACK, Thomas - no information.
179. MCCLAIN, Sampson, was probably William S. MCLAIN, born January 1864 in NC, who was a coal miner, with wife, Belle, and 3 children in the 1900 census for District 5, Anderson County, TN. W. S. MCCLAIN married C. B. MASTERSON 17 September 1896 in Anderson County, TN. Their children were: Lizzette, born June 1897; Thad, born September 1898; and, Lassie, born February 1900, all in TN.
180. MASSENGILL, James P., was probably the James MASSENGILL, born March 1845 in TN, who was a coal miner and boarder in the home of Preston GRIFFITH (#176) in the 1900 census for District 5, Anderson County, TN. He was enumerated in the same household with boarder, John W. MASSENGILL, born November 1869 in TN, who may have been a relative.
Copyright P. Bailey Francis 6 May 2011